I've called this my French Boudoir Pillow, as it does have a bit of a French theme going on, and I reckon the only place it can go is on my bed.
(Boudoir it ain't - but it sounds good).
I think this is the most fun I've had with my sewing machine for ages, and considering the "gay abandon" with which I attacked this project, I don't think its turned out too badly.
|From Moda - Curio range|
You see I had fallen in love with this piece of fabric, and wanted to do something with it. Due to the overall stripe pattern, I didn't want to cut it up. However, just a plain pillow seemed very boring. How to jazz it up?
In the end I went a little bit mad. Grabbed a bag of vintage lace and started attaching. Then I printed off a few French themed vintage images onto printable fabric sheets. Three vintage doilies for good measure, a handful of ancient buttons and a few bits of broken jewellery later - I had a cushion front that looked very random but okay.
|A vintage photo reduced and a bit of broken necklace|
As for the quilting? Um.... well that's delightfully vague too. I've done lines, swirls and squiggles using the fabric and positioned shapes as a guide. Any seasoned quilter who spends hours hand quilting..... I know! But - this was super quick, and it doesn't look half bad.
|I used WordArt to add text to a vintage label image|
For once, I thought I'd give the machine a rare treat, and allow it to use a few of its many stitch patterns. Goodness knows, they are seldom used. Some of them are really pretty. Again I've followed the lines of the fabric, and meandered around a few shapes.
|I love the randomness of it, and the lacey fabric|
The back of the pillow is far more reserved. I've used toning fabric to make an envelope opening.
I couldn't resist adding a bit of zing with a ric-rac, lace and pom-pom trim combo. It's a smiley pillow!
To finish the edges, I have used binding as you would for a quilt. I cut the binding at 1 3/4 inches and pressed it in half. Using a quarter inch seam, it worked perfectly. I intended to hand sew the seam down at the back (I did - honestly!), but.... it was just too tempting to pin and machine. From the front it looks as though it has been quilted "in the ditch". (Doing that again!).